Sunday, April 4, 2010

The only good excuse for not doing your homework. Nashville Trips.




Last June, my mother was in the market for a new vehicle and being the automotive aficionado that I have now established myself to be, I started doing some heavy research because at the time she drove a Volvo XC90 T6 AWD. So in looking at the comparables she had always mentioned liking the Mercedes ML-Class. We looked at, and drove the 350 and the ML500 to see what the advantages were in packaging. I, of course, wandered to the other end of the dealer lot where the AMG vehicles sit proudly outside the front door of the dealer. Finding the ML63 AMG sitting there in black on black leather and we were able to test drive the car and both mom and dad were immediately in love with the 510 horsepower on tap, not to mention the whole package looked like a mean set of wheels. We looked around and shopped for the best deal and found through Mercedes of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Proud owners were we of a Mercedes, our first one, and it being a Silver AMG.

If you’re not familiar with the AMG line, it is what Mercedes considers its Premium Sports brand. The vehicles are taken and tuned to the specifications of a supercar and all the neccessary hardware is put in to give it its sporting credentials. In the case of the ML63, starting with the inside, the driver and front passenger seats are beefed up to handle the corners with wider side bolsters and more adjustments are available to make yourself comfortable over the long-haul. Leather quality is upped and more areas are covered in hide, including the upper dash. Heating and cooling is available for the front seats and heat for the two outboard seats in the back. AMG embroidery in the seats too. The suspension gets a work through, three settings; Comfort, Sport, and Raised. Raised setting is the most fun, because it makes the car look like it could crawl over just about anything and looking sexy doing so keeping it almost a foot off the ground and able to ford 26 inches of water. Finally the drivetrain gets a reworked 7-speed Automatic with TapShift all leading up to the massive hand-built and signed 6.2 liter V8 that is begging to sing at 7,000 rpm. (I think when we got the vehicle we told mom that it had less horsepower so that she wouldnt drive fast!)

The reason I bring this vehicle up is because if anyone had the opportunity to have a vehicle like this, they would love it and cherish it and pamper it. However with me, I am discussing it because I now see why the purchase is paying off for us. I had to return home to Tennessee last Wednesday to see family that wasn’t doing well health wise. My great aunt has exhibited signs of Demetia and only when it got so bad did anyone notice that her or my uncle were not leaving the house nor were they communicating with anyone, and with them living about an hour and a half from Nashville, getting to them wasn’t easy. She was taken to the hospital immediately and she has been barely responsive in the past two weeks. I was able to spend an evening with her last Friday night, just her and I. Ill just tell you that I would not wish her condition on anyone, not even my worst enemy. Therefore with the mess at hand my mother has stepped in and basically had to drive from Nashville to Narnia running errands and carting my uncle who is in terrible health himself across town. There honestly isnt a better vehicle to take them all over. So I wanted to take a moment and say through 18,000 miles of usage with my family, the Mercedes ML63 AMG is one fast people mover but has been able to,within a year, provide services that you cant put a price tag on.

Nashville otherwise was great. I was able to see friends when I could and clean the family cars while I was in town also. I feel as if I paused time coming home for that time being, and heading back to LA will suddenly start the wheel of progress back up. I have a TON of homework that needs to be addressed this evening and I am writing this portion of the blog on the plane ride back into the West. I had packed my Copic markers and sketchbooks and one of my marker pads into my bags but I never had a moment to sit down and draw. I was constantly on the move from the time my flight landed in Nashville. The airline had placed my bags on a later flight by accident and I had to return to the airport to pick up the luggage.

All in all, things are not where they should be. Everything so far has happened for a reason, the bigger picture I just have yet to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment